Saturday, August 7, 2010

Signs

Now that my taper is in full force and I am a week out from the race my body is giving me signals. I have been through many a taper to know what is real and what is not. The time that I had sharp radiating pain in my left upper thigh area that woke me up at night, that wasn't a minor body repairing itself kinda signal. That time it was a full fledged stress fracture in my femur and that pain was real. Most of the time though, the pains are phantom pains. From my experience, when the body gets a chance to recover it doesn't hesitate and it gets to work. In turn this means that little aches and pains emerge in the regeneration process. That does not mean that I have an injury, nor does being sore one week out mean that I am going to be sore on race day. The signs my body are sending my brain say differently, but as I will demonstrate not all signs need heeding, and not all signs are correct.

Obviously, they don't heed this sign!

Coolest sign ever, but they were closed!

For now, I have been reading the signs but I have been interpreting them my own way. I know that pre race anxiety makes everything seem like it is an injury or problem, I also know that I had lots of aches and pains in training that went away as soon as I was on the bike. Amazing what a little adrenalin and fix of endorphins can do! One week to go and on race day my body better display the open for racing sign, and it better be correct!

No comments:

Post a Comment