Monday, February 7, 2011

Rule Books

If you know me, you know that I like to follow rules. Give me a strict rule and I am all for it, takes the thinking out of the equation. That doesn't mean I have never questioned a rule, I have. Doesn't mean I have never broken a rule, I have done that too. But mostly I follow the rules. I even follow self imposed rules, some of them I make up just for the fun of having a rule to follow. I know, I sound like a riot to hang out with and after you all read this my social calendar is going to get rather hectic. Don't fret though, I do not expect others to follow my rule set, even though they make perfect sense and the world would run so much smoother if you all did. At least it would make more sense to me. Sometimes, I just don't understand other peoples rules. Like for instance today, as I was walking my dog a gentleman came up behind me on the sidewalk riding his bike. He rang his bell, I guess that makes him being on the sidewalk okay in his book. After he passed me he cut across the road, crossing a double yellow line and proceeded to ride his bike the wrong direction in a bike lane. Probably okay because he rang his bell at approaching cyclists and cars.  I should have celebrated his freedom from the confines of um,... being law abiding. Instead I just assumed that he also broke the number one rule in my book and didn't return his shopping cart to the proper spot in the parking lot.

1 comment:

  1. I guess we get along because I'm the opposite - not so strong at following rules. To quote Eddie Vedder: "I know the rules, but the rules do not know me".

    ReplyDelete