Thursday, June 3, 2010

Into Thin Air

As I may have mentioned in a previous post or two, the Leadville trail 100 occurs at altitude. The town of Leadville where the race starts is at 10,152ft and the highest point of the race Columbine mine is at 12,500ft ABOVE sea level. I live at sea level, which means I also train at sea level. There is a big difference in the percentage of oxygen in the air up there compared to the 21% I breath down here. My holding the breath method of acclimating has shown only mediocre results thus far so it is time for plan B. Plan B arrived two days ago in the mystery package. My rented altitude simulation tent is now set up and in use. Every night while I sleep I will now be training, this is the most awesome kind of training ever! Now, if I want to sleep late or go to bed early I have the excuse that I am training. Ingenious. Of course, what girl wouldn't want one of these over her bed?

 My Princess Canopy Bed
Last night I slept at 5000 feet. I prefer to think that I slept in Lima Peru. It was quite comfortable and I strangely liked being the girl in the bubble. Lets hope that by the time I work up to 10,000 feet I am still finding it comfortable and enjoying it. Normally, I wouldn't go to such extreme measures for a race, but this race is extreme and not normal. I plan to do this race once and I need to do everything I can to ensure success in the preparation. I am relying on the tent to take me into thin air each night while I dream.


'can you take me higher, up high I feel like I'm alive for the very first time, Set up high I'm strong enough to take these dreams and make them mine, can you take me higher'.

2 comments:

  1. I was just waiting for this post. I knew you'd end up having to get one of these. How does our husband like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you actually sleep in that? claustrophic!!

    ReplyDelete