Saturday, May 22, 2010

Nature Lessons

Many of the local areas that I mountain bike were ravaged by fires in the recent years. I never fails to astonish me, how a place that was absolutely desolate and charred can become one of the most beautiful trails that I ride on. As I am preparing my body for the massive undertaking of the Leadville trail 100 there are times that it feels ravaged and broken down. I know from watching mother nature at work that the vegetation regrowth that occurs is spectacular in strength and beauty. I am trusting that as a part of nature my body will also experience this phenomenon and will rebuild stronger.

Burnt tree surrounded by wildflowers.



This hill burns my legs!



The rocks don't present obstacles to the stream, just a new path

The plants and creatures that thrive in a devastated fire region are all resilient and extremely adaptable. Those are the qualities that I am striving for in training and development. On my journey I will heed the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience'. Patience has a time limit though, only 12 more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment