Thursday, March 25, 2010

Just Breathe

Just breathe. Sounds simple enough, we all do it an average of 20 times per minute. It is done without thinking most of the time. Every once in awhile we are reminded how hard it can be to breathe and how important. Things like having the wind knocked out of us, an asthma attack, and most relevantly racing 100 miles on a mountain bike above 10,000ft when you live at sea level, make breathing seem not so simple. Last year when I went to Leadville, I experienced shortness of breath... driving. Now granted I was driving uphill, and was above 12,000ft so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned.  Except, in August, I will be pedaling and that creates a little higher oxygen consumption than driving. Did I mention that I live at sea level already?- well 465ft to be exact.


Only 11,630ft above the altitude at home

Armed with the knowledge that I am not acclimated to altitude I have been experimenting and researching. There is a ton of information available on ways to improve your chances of racing at altitude. Being that I am super technical the first method I have employed is very precise. It involves holding my breath. 




I'll let you know how it works. Until then, slow down and just breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment