Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Just me and my Shadow

For a couple of years now I have wanted to mountain bike in South Western Utah. I have heard from so many people how amazing it is. Unfortunately, the times that I have been in that area it has bee 100degrees still at 8pm and I have had the dog with me. When I decided I was going to run the Vegas half marathon it was in my mind that I was only going to be 90 minutes away from some epic riding. I waffled back and forth on whether to add a few days to the trip and in the end I did. I am so glad that I did. The riding was truly awesome and after three days of being in the lights and noise of Vegas this introvert needed to recharge her batteries out in nature with some alone time.

It was a balmy 24 degrees F when I woke the first day but that wasn't going to stop me, okay it did stop me until the temperature gauge rose to 30F, but I was searching for adventure and quiet and it delivered. My first stop was Over the Edge sports in Hurricane Utah to get the local 411 on trail conditions and a map. They were super helpful, thanks DJ! During my two days I was able to get a variety of riding in and I loved it. On my first day I saw a stealth looking rider who seemed to be following me every move.

No matter how fast or slow I went I couldn't shake her:)
Church Rocks loop
The riding in this area is fantastic and I left feeling like I had been to a huge dessert buffet and only been allowed to take a small bite off two plates. But what I did sample was delicious. Flowing single track, super fun bumpy slick rocks, amazing vistas, and oh the peace and quiet.

Prospector Trail to Church Rocks


Virgin River view from Hurricane Ridge Trail

Snow on the trail

All to Myself

I tend to get songs stuck in my head and this trip was no exception. 'Here I go on my alone again, going down the only road I've ever know, Like a drifter I was born to walk alone, Cause I know what it means, To walk along the lonely street of dreams'. Only thing is I was never lonely, cause every time I looked around I saw her beside me, my shadow and we were both grinning ear to ear!

Kiki's Kulinary

Cherry Malt, I had one of these recovery drinks waiting for me back at the car



No comments:

Post a Comment