Friday, May 20, 2011

Barriers

Every once in a while in life we are faced with obstacles that block the path. Sometimes, these barriers are easy to knock down or hurdle over. Other times, they require a more inventive approaches to tackle them. Not too long ago while out on the mountain bike I was enjoying a new trail when low and behold the trail disappeared through a bramble of thick deep prickly thistles.

Can you see the trail?

I had a choice to make, how important was it to me that I get to the end of this trail? Did I want to attack the thistle and let it know that nothing was going to get in my way, and take the scars and battle wounds, or was today a day where it was okay to turn around. Of course if I had my scythe with me this wouldn't have even been a question, but it seems that a multi tool, isn't that multi! Visible physical blockages are one thing to deal with, but how many of us have invisible mental barriers that we are letting stop us in our progress. Sometimes, these brick walls seem insurmountable but I have found that by chipping away at them slowly they do eventually crumble and you come out the other side. Sometimes, you need someone to give you a boost to get up and over the wall instead of breaking through it. Why is it that the toughest obstacles to overcome are the ones that we have built ourselves? Is it that they have been given too strong of a foundation? If so, it is time to create an earthquake, take a risk and open up the road for passage. If you knock up against the wall enough times it will fall and the view on the other side will be worth the effort, even if it is another barrier. So get out your mental wrecking balls and join me in the demolition of the mental blockades, on the other side of the thistle patch there were lots of beautiful non prickly flowers!





'There is no failure except in no longer trying. There is no defeat except from within, no really insurmountable barrier save our own inherent weakness of purpose'
Kin Hubbard 1868-1930

No comments:

Post a Comment