Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Engine Rebuild

I realize that I have been neglecting writing lately, but I have a good reason (okay, maybe not a good reason but an excuse). Actually, I've written some brilliant blog posts recent out on long runs and rides. Sadly, for you my reader, they have not made it to the actual blog, you have missed out on some brilliance. Or at least they seemed brilliant in my fatigued mind numb state at the time. When I returned home though, I was too fatigued to move my fingers and do any typing. Also, they didn't seem nearly as interesting or important once I had come down off my endorphin fix. Back to the excuse, the real reason I haven't been writing is I have been focusing all my extra energy and time into a new exciting project. You see, I have been trying to rebuild a diesel engine. I am in the attempt of taking an old, well worn diesel engine and adapting it to take a turbo injector.

I like to think my engine is this clean:)

Having a diesel engine has many advantages, or so I keep telling myself when those little formula one racing engines burn by me. I tell myself, they do not have very good fuel economy. They require much more maintenance to keep up that speed. Sure they have a quick start but can they sustain that speed all day. While this diesel engine can go all day very efficiently on very little fuel burn, it has difficulty with sudden changes in speed (that is a little false because it has no trouble with the slowing down part of speed changes). This big engine can haul big loads up and over hills but it does so at a nice slow and steady pace, there is now speeding up. So, I don't want to give up running a diesel engine altogether because I want to be a long haul trucker, but I want to be a long hauler with a little fuel injection turbo.

The addition of the turbo injector has involved countless sessions on the -wait for it- turbo trainer. Yes, rather simplistic idea but one that has my engine reving at maximum and the temperature gauge moving towards hot. All systems are telling me to back off the gas pedal and get back to cruising speed but I resist and push through. When the workouts are done the engine is sputtering and shaking and the gas warning light is on. Each time I try to push it further and further, knowing at some point I will be walking with a gerry can to the kitchen to get more fuel to make it to the destination. Or maybe not, this diesel engine might be able to run for a long time on fumes.

I am hopeful that at some point within the next 8 weeks preferably that the turbo charge will take my engine rebuild will be successful. For now signs are pointing that I am getting there. For example my mpg average has gone down slightly and the engine seems to be burning hotter, requiring more tank fill ups. There have been times that I have felt the surge of the turbo beneath me, although going uphill is still a steady grind with black smoke billowing out my stacks. For years I have relied on my trusty diesel engine so if the turbo project fails I know that I still have a big fuel efficient well seasoned engine beneath the hood. Like any race car, a nice chassis is just that, a nice body, but it is all about the engine!

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine- Elvis Presley

Kiki's Kulinary
Raw Vegan Scramble on bed of spinach
Diesel Fuel:)

1 comment: