Sunday, April 14, 2013

Be A Weed

'A weed is a plant that has mastered all survival skills except for learning how to grow in rows. Be a weed.' -Doug Larson

When you go by a meadow and it is littered with yellow dots, or white fluffy puffs it looks so pretty, so why when is it on the lawn do people consider it unsightly? I've always thought the dandelion was a pretty flower, my first flower garden featured it. It is a good flower for beginners, or toddlers as was my case, it grows without you doing anything. It is cheerful and useful. Hours of entertainment can be had blowing the puffs into the wind and it is edible (if someone hasn't put weed killer on it). I'm sure many mothers have received their first bouquet from their children with weeds, that makes them precious flowers.

Weeds grow where nothing else does, the first thing to come back after a fire is the weeds. They don't care if the humidity and temperature are perfect, they adapt and grow to the conditions around them. Survivalists not conformists. Who wants to be planted in a row when you can grow in a meadow, not me. I want to be a weed.



1 comment:

  1. Ironically when I was running the other day there was a dandelion all alone and it made me smile thinking back to how much I liked them as a kid:)

    ReplyDelete