Thursday, January 31, 2013

Simple Physics

The most difficult part of any workout is often starting it. The energy required to go from being at rest to moving is a big output. Once I am out on the road and momentum has taken over it is much easier to keep rolling. I have also noticed at the end of long runs that stopping is harder than to just keep going. I get to the end and I am at a standstill but my body equilibrium is off after having moving forward for so long. Maybe that is why my legs often want to keep moving throughout the night.

I have noted the same concepts on the mountain bike. It is much easier to continue up and over an obstacle when moving at some speed than when approaching it slowly. If I come up on a curb at too slow of a speed, I come to a stop. When I hit something at speed even if my bike comes to a stand still, I continue to move through the air.

Physics was never a subject that I quite grasped, but it is all beginning to make sense now. An object at rest tends to stay at rest, an object in motion tends to stay in motion. There are all kinds of formulas for the energy required to go from rest to movement and vice versa. For me all it takes to get me off the couch and out the door is the reminder that I am signed up for a few rather intimidating events. That fear creates enough energy to move this large mass, simple physics.

Disclaimer, to me the term simple physics will always be an oxymoron!

When energy is low, these views are able to recharge me. I'm sure there is a name for the formula that explains the transfer of energy but to me it will always be known as the ocean formula:)



1 comment:

  1. After my first official easy/recovery week I look forward to ramping up again but I know the first couple days this week will take more mental push to get into output mode!

    ReplyDelete