Friday, January 13, 2012

Art Appreciation

I am a neophyte in the art world. It doesn't seem to matter though because even with my relative lack of knowledge on the subject I can still enjoy the arts. I can see colours in my mind listening to the different movements performed by an orchestra. Gazing at a century old painting can evoke all kinds of emotions. Even though I have no formal training in art and don't always (okay, most times)  understand it, I still find myself drawn to it and what it brings out within me.

I love the tranquility of this and got lost standing in front of it

Last week I spent some time lost in art. At the beginning I was feeling warm and light but as the time progressed and the artist got deeper emotions shifted. Rather than seeing lavender and feeling comforted things began to shift. Suddenly, the colours before me were red and pain began to be the predominant emotion. Deep hot searing pain, the kind that shakes you to the core and makes you want to scream out. I was lost in the moment and as I felt the full emotion that the craftsman was inflicting on me, I cried out. It was so real, the pain was so raw and it felt like I was experiencing it. I needed to know the conveyed message of this particular piece. According to the expert that was with me, this was an example of feeling tied up in knots and being stuck in a ball. The artist that I was appreciating was called Vastus Lateralis. I haven't been able to shake the feeling that he will remain with me every step of the way in my Ironman training. Thankfully I have a skilled ART therapist who will make sure that by May everything is in tune and the performance crescendos perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment