Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Overload Warning

Yesterday while doing my treadmill run I got a warning on the screen. Overload Warning it read. My first reaction was disbelief, how is it possible that me running at 8mph for 50 mins had caused the treadmill to be overloaded. Then I got to thinking, maybe it wasn't referring to me going too fast, maybe it was like a bridge that had a load limit and I was dangerously close to exceeding it? Whatever it meant, I took the warning seriously and slowed it down. I didn't want to cause a commotion and have smoke coming out of the belt, then everyone would know that I had eaten more than one cupcake at the birthday party the day before!What really puzzled me was how an object that I was on but in no way connected to could get me to listen to the signs of pushing too hard but sometimes when my body flashes the same message across the screen to me, I completely ignore it. I'll cover it up, pretend to not have seen the signs and just keep on pushing. I am not the only one who does this. I realize that high fitness is just one step from the edge of injury and overdoing it. When pushing the bodies limits and intensifying fatigue we are dangerously close to complete system meltdown. From now on when I cut a workout short, or don't go quite as hard as I planned on going, I will be heeding my internal overload warning light and preventing complete system failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment